Vehicular Accidents, off-campus
A driver involved in an accident in a Lincoln University vehicle or rental vehicle must contact the nearest law enforcement official. Do not make any statement concerning assumption of liability. Give only the information required by the law enforcement authorities. Do not sign any statements except those required by law enforcement or Risk Management Officials.
Lincoln University vehicles must have a liability card in the vehicle certifying liability coverage. Rental vehicles should have a copy of the rental agreement in the vehicle. Law enforcement officials may request these documents.
Gather pertinent facts related to the incident as follows:
- Obtain the name, address, vehicle registration, driver license number and phone number of other drivers and information of any other persons involved.
- Obtain insurance information from the other drivers including phone number and information on any other persons involved.
- Get the names and addresses of all available witnesses to the accident.
- Obtain the police accident report number. Request a copy of the police report and forward to Lincoln University Purchasing Department.
- Record facts about the vehicle property damage and any damage to their property.
Report the accident to the Purchasing Department of Lincoln University within 24 hours by either calling 573.681.5417 or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If the accident involves a motor pool vehicle, notification must be made to BOTH the Purchasing Department and the motor pool.
- You will be expected to provide detailed information to Purchasing regarding the incident.Tthe In Case of Accident form will help you gather the appropriate information.
- Purchasing will complete in full an Automobile Loss Notice Form #MO 300-0068 and submit this form on behalf of Lincoln University. Purchasing is required to forward reports to Risk Management, Office of Administration within 24-48 hours after the accident.
- Purchasing will provide a courtesy notification of the incident to Public Safety.