The Agricultural Economics and Marketing Program (AEMP) serves both Extension and Research and is housed in Cooperative Extension offices in Allen Hall. It covers issues that are pertinent to the core areas of assistance to the agricultural and agribusiness clientele of Lincoln University, who are found throughout the state of Missouri and beyond. These issues include the areas of economics, marketing, farm management and production.
Historically, the clientele has been made up of small, disadvantaged and limited-resource farmers and ranchers. These individuals are primarily concentrated in four sections of Missouri, namely, East Central, West Central, Southeast and Southwest.
The goal of the AEMP is to help small farm enterprises across Missouri to be sustainable economically, socially and ecologically.
This overarching goal is achieved by providing assistance to small farm families through one-on-one farm visits, workshops, research and demonstrations. Also, the program assists with farm and financial issues, cooperative and direct marketing, sustainable agricultural practices and other on-farm research as needed. To enhance the quality of the program and projects, we recognize the need to tap into the enormous niche advantages available to our clientele.
As economics and marketing issues are the concern of most, if not all, areas of our endeavors in Cooperative Extension, many services are provided by the AEMP to meet the various needs of our clientele. These include the following:
- niche marketing strategies.
- economics and marketing of Missouri goats, sheep and wool.
- record keeping, computer training and farm management.
- risk management education for farmers.
- The Role of Oil Speculation on the Economy: The Problem with The View of Fattouth, Kilian, and Mahadeva
- Update to the Proceedings of The Second Missouri Goat Producers' Marketing Conference
- Exploring Efficiencies in the Merger of the New Generation Growth Cooperative and Farmers' Market to Enhance Vibrant Rural Economies and National Food Security
- Oil Speculation: The Impact on Prices, Inflation, Interest Rates and the Economy
- Import Response and Inflationary Pressures
- Rates and Inflationary Pressures, Real or Imagined: The Reality of Our Time Working Paper Sent to Chairman Greenspan in July 2000
- Quantitative Easing: Is it the Solution to All Our Economic Problems?
- Financial Cliff: Correction of Existing Societal Imbalance or Socialism
AEMP Programs and Projects of Interest
The AEMP will continue to provide technical assistance to promote the overall objective of the goat industry. Some of the published AEMP highlights include the following:
- Economics and Marketing of Lamb and Wool: The Case of Missouri (2012)
- Economics and Marketing of Goats: The Case of Missouri (2009)
- Marketing Strategies for Small Farms: Missouri Goats First on Internet Auction
- Missouri Industrial Hemp | Farmer Forum | March 10, 2022 | 2:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. | Everybody Welcome. No cost to attend.
- GARDENING ENTREPRENEURSHIP 2021 WEBINAR SERIES: APRIL- SEPTEMBER (Click for flyer and dates)
- Missouri Hemp Forum - January 14, 2021
- Gardening Entrepreneurship Webinar Series (See flyer for dates and registration)